Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Recipe provided by Naturally Ella
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 medium yellow onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 cups water see note
- 1/2 cup heavy cream *optional – can be left out to make vegan
- Salt to taste
- Toasted bread crumbs for topping
- Hot sauce for topping
0 minutes 30 minutes Serves: 2 servings1
- Preheat oven to 425˚ F. Toss cauliflower florets with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt. Place on a baking tray in a single layer. Roast, stirring once halfway through, until cauliflower is caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While cauliflower is roasting, heat a medium stock pot over medium-low heat. Add olive oil followed by the minced onion. Cook until onion is fragrant and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Add in the garlic and thyme, cooking for one minute more.
- Add in the vegetable broth and water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let simmer until the cauliflower has finished roasting. Set aside a few small pieces of cauliflower for topping. Place the broth mixture and cauliflower in a blender and puree until smooth. If a perfectly smooth consistency is desired, pour the soup mixture through a sieve while transferring back to the pot.
- Once the soup is back in the pot, measure in the heavy cream and heat over low until ready to serve.
Tips & Tricks: Using only vegetable broth overpowers the flavors soup, so part broth and part water. Of course, you can replace all the water with vegetable broth if desired. The soup is creamy without the heavy cream if you would like to leave it vegan. However, the heavy cream adds a nice layer of richness that I wouldn’t miss.
Plan ahead: find this recipe in the Naturally Ella Real Plans upgrade.
Nutrition: See the information.