Smoky Cheddar, Leek, Bacon and Mushroom Soup
Recipe provided by Raley's
by : jessica horne
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, divided
- 1 Large leek thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 cups baby Premier portabella mushrooms diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (32- oz.) container Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock or reduced-sodium broth
- 2 cups cooked potatoes peeled and diced
- 7 oz. smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded (in our Deli)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Snipped fresh chives
Prep: 20 minutes, Cook: 35 minutes, Serves: 4-6
- Cut bacon slices in half and cook until very crisp in a large saucepan; remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Crumble into pieces and set aside.
- Add leeks and mushrooms to pan; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to lightly brown, stirring frequently. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Slowly add stock, stirring constantly, until soup is slightly thickened. Add potatoes; simmer, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese a little at a time.
- Add half the crumbled bacon and season to taste with pepper. Cook over very low heat for 5 minutes more. Ladle into soup bowls, then top with remaining crumbled bacon and snipped fresh chives.
Wine Suggestion: Robert Hall Rhône de Robles – The silky fruit of this red blend (Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault and Counoise) balances the smoky soup nicely. You could also try a soft Cab.