Greek-Style Beef Pita
Recipe provided by California Beef Council
by : Eat Farm to Fork
- 1 pound beef Sirloin Tip Steaks, cut 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain or seasoned hummus
- 4 whole wheat pita breads, cut crosswise in half
- (optional) Your choice of sliced cucumbers, olives, onions or other veggies
- Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1-inch wide strips. Combine beef and lemon pepper in medium bowl.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 to 3 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining beef, adding remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet, if necessary.
- Spread hummus evenly in pita pockets. Fill with equal amounts of beef and toppings, as desired.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 333 calories; 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 68 mg cholesterol; 581 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 4.8 g fiber; 29 g protein; 7.7 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 38.9 mcg selenium; 5.4 mg zinc; 92.7 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.