Roasted Crimson Pear & Smoked Bacon Risotto
3/4 cup vialone nano rice
1 small diced shallot
1 clove diced garlic
3 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup diced high quality smoked bacon
1/2 cup diced roasted crimson pear (Featured Ingredient)
1 ounce of tallegio cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
1 Tablespoon butter
1. Toast the rice at medium heat in a medium sauté pan.
2. Once the rice becomes hot and starts to brown, add the shallot and garlic along with a small amount of olive oil and quickly sweat.
3. Add enough chicken stock to just cover the top of the rice.
4. Preferably with a wooden spoon, start to slowly stir the rice.
5. In a separate pan, render the bacon at low heat until crispy.
6. The rice is going to take about 15-20 minutes to cook so be patient, you’re going to have to add more liquid as the cooking continues.
7. Once the rice kernel starts to turn translucent and is “al dente,” stir in the rest of the ingredients and a bit more chicken stock until you reach desired creaminess.
8. Garnish with a pinch of fresh thyme and a few slices of roasted pear. Viola!
Recipe courtesy of Executive Chef Brian Mizner of Hook & Ladder Manufacturing Co.